The most interesting event calendar around!
Looking for fun things to do this weekend? You've come to the right place!
Soaring Science Night
The Cradle of Aviation Museum is coming alive for Soaring Science Night with two socially-distant and safe, limited attendee, family sessions on Friday, March 12th at 5 pm and 7 pm. Each session is packed with stimulating family-fun, STEM activities, and characters from our galleries to entertain the entire family. Tickets are $15.00 per person; $10 for Museum Members. All activities are included with admission. All tickets must be purchased in advance, no tickets will be sold at the door. Ideal for kids in grades K-5.
• Make a Kite: Learn how kites were precursors to airplanes and build your own kite.
• What Flies Best?: Try out different paper airplane designs and see which flies best.
• Scavenger Hunt: Look for things you might have missed before with a challenging scavenger hunt in the galleries.
• Busting Barriers to Flight: Learn about some barriers to flight and see if you can overcome them with an interactive game.
• “Take Flight!” in the Planetarium: Experience the sights and sounds of early aviators’ famous flights, including Cal Rodgers and Elinor Smith.
• Character Experiences: See and hear history retold! For the first time ever, you can meet and speak to living history interpreters dressed in period costumes.
“Our museum is coming to life for a fun, unique, high-flying experience, be sure not to miss it!" - Kerri Kiker, Planetarium Education Coordinator
There are a limited number of tickets available to ensure social distancing requirements are met throughout the duration of the program. Families will follow a schedule of events from the time of entry to the time of the event conclusion. Family Science Nights are designed to help families spend fun quality time together while building self-esteem, strengthening bonds, & creating memories. With STEM occupations expected to grow to more than 9 million between 2012 and 2022*, Family Science Nights are an easy way to introduce and experience activities related to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math.
This event will be in-person permitting that NYS guidance remains the same, otherwise, Soaring Science Night will shift to a virtual platform. All materials will be provided for participants and available for contactless pick up at the Museum. There will be no refunds.
We encourage all of our young participants to come to Soaring Science Night dressed in space and aviation-inspired clothing; if it has a plane, spaceship, or even a pterodactyl on it, we want to see it! However, please note there are two rules (in adherence with CDC guidelines) the Museum is mandating for all of our guests:
1. A costume mask is not permitted. As in all public buildings in NYS, the Museum is mandating two-layer cloth or medical-grade masks to be worn at all times by all participants (age 2+) covering both the mouth and nose. While costume masks are not allowed, we invite participants to have fun incorporating their cloth masks into their outfits and/or using face paint to enhance the mask to fit the theme. Guests not wearing a mask or not adhering to mask guidelines, out of respect for the health and safety of our other guests, will be asked to leave the facility.
2. There are no walk-up entries. The Museum has a limited number of tickets available to ensure social distancing requirements are met throughout the duration of the program. Families will follow a schedule of events from the time of entry to the time of the event conclusion.
The Cradle of Aviation adheres to all NYS guidelines concerning Covid-19. In the event that infection rates reach 5% in our area, Aviation Science Night will shift to a virtual platform. All materials will be provided for participants and available for contactless pick up at the Museum. There will be no refunds.