The employee is responsible for teaching aviation, space exploration and related topics to school groups in a classroom setting at the Museum and offsite. In that regard, the employee attends training sessions in order to utilize the lesson plans and incorporate hands-on objects prepared for these programs; makes suggestions for the modification of lesson plans where necessary; participates in the research and development of lesson plans for new programs; exhibits flexibility to adapt subject matter to different age groups; obtains and organizes educational materials and supplies.
The employee conducts tours of the museum for school groups and occasionally for groups of teachers, seniors, and other groups. In that regard, the employee must become knowledgeable of all exhibits in the museum galleries and, if necessary, be able to focus on different galleries of the museum depending upon the age and interests of the group.
The employee will be called upon to lead activities with the general public during public programs.
The employee will be asked to lead outreach programming at partner schools, libraries, and other institutions on a regular basis.
With respect to all programs and activities, the employee will maintain a commitment to accuracy of information and emphasize positive, personal interactions with all visitors.
Knowledge Required for the Position:
- Acquired or currently earning a college degree in one of the following: museum studies, education, aerospace, history, technology, science, communications or related subject; or equivalent life experience in one or more of these areas.
- Knowledge or interest in aviation or space exploration.
- Unique or charismatic ability to teach school groups.
- Good public speaking skills.
- Ability and willingness to engage in positive personal interaction with all visitors.
- Dependable and punctual.
- Experience in teaching or interacting with elementary school students preferred.
Attire: Business casual.
Email cover letter and resume to:
Assistant Director of Education