Jet Gallery, 1946-1995
Grumman OV-1 Mohawk
First built in 1959, the Mohawk was the U.S. Army's only fixed-wing combat aircraft from the mid-1970's through the 1990's. The Mohawk was designed to maintain round -the-clock surveillance over and beyond the front lines. A total of four versions were built; the OV-1A, visual and photo surveillance; OV-1B, with added side-looking airborne radar; OV-1C, with a panoramic camera added to its photo-infrared systems, and the OV-1D with additional cameras and infrared systems. Improved radio navigation aids also enabled it to operate at night and in all weather conditions.
Thus the OV-1 was a completely integrated battlefield surveillance system that supplied the army field commander with information on the strength, disposition, and activity of enemy forces. This two-place twin-turboprop aircraft was equipped with photographic and electronic sensors that could monitor enemy operations in daylight, darkness and bad weather. The OV-1, complete with short takeoff and landing performance, could operate from small unimproved fields in forward battle areas and could be maintained without extensive support equipment. Grumman Mohawks remained in Army operation until 2000 and they saw widespread and successful use in both the Vietnam and Persian Gulf Wars. A total of 380 were built. This particular aircraft served in the Army for 20 years and was last used at Grumman for an electronics upgrade test bed.
Engines: (2) Lycoming T53 Turboprops, 1400 hp each
Weight: 11,800 lbs.
Top Speed: 316 mph
Donor: Grumman Aerospace Corporation